Chester Step Test Kit
£162.00 Ex VAT £135.00
Chester Step Test Kit comes supplied with a POLAR FT1 Heart Rate monitor plus 13 Aerobic Capacity Tests Protocols.
Used by Fire Brigades around the world the Chester Step Test Kit has a number of advantages. Minimal equipment is required and the test can be conducted in any environment due to this. It’s also designed to be flexible in assessing people with a wide range of absolute aerobic fitness levels by having adjustable step heights.
- Additional information
- What box height do I need?
- What's included in the kit?
- Reviews (0)
The ‘Chester Step Test’ height ranges between 0.15 to 0.30 metres depending on the person being assessed – there is standardised criteria for choosing a step height based on the age and physical activity history of the person doing the test.
The step rate begins at 15 steps per minute and every 2 minutes the tempo increases by 5 steps per minute.
The Chester Step Test is used a number of services as a tool for measuring a potential candidate’s ability for the job prior to entry at the medical stage:
- UK Police Forces (both police officer selection and PCSO)
- The British Fire Service for firefighter selection
- The British Army for regular soldiers and officers
- The Royal Marines
- The Prison Service for assessing entry for prison officers
Chester Step Test Fire Service Procedure
If you are doing your step test as part of your medical examination or for any other part of your recruitment process for the fire and rescue service, then this will generally be the procedure that you will go through:
- Both your maximum heart rate (220 – Age) and your 80% of maximum heart rate. These values will be entered in the appropriate box on the Chester Step Test Record sheet and two horizontal lines will be drawn on the graph to represent these values
- A heart rate monitor will be attached to you, and you will be told what will be required of you during the test, followed by a brief demonstration of the initial stepping rate (15 steps /min)
- When the CD is turned on you will be encouraged to commence stepping at the appropriate stepping rate, and will continue to step for the next 2 minutes
- After the first 2 minutes of stepping (stage 1) your heart rate will be recorded during the last few seconds of stepping. (You may also be asked to indicate your rating of perceived exertion (RPE) from a chart numbered 6 to 20, low scores being very, very light exertion and high scores being very, very hard exertion
- Providing your heart rate is below 80% of your maximum heart rate and the RPE is below 14, you’ll be asked to continue stepping at the slightly faster rate in stage 2 (20 steps/min)
- After another 2 minutes of stepping your heart rate will be recorded during the last few seconds of stage 2, and again you may be asked to indicate your RPE from the chart provided
- Providing your heart rate is below 80% of your maximum heart rate and the RPE is below 14, you’ll be asked to continue stepping at the slightly faster rate is stage 3 (25 steps/min)
- The test will continue until either you report an RPE greater than 14 and/or an exercise heart rate greater than 80% of your maximum heart rate (stage 4 = 30 steps/min, stage 5 = 35 steps/min)
15cm, 20cm, 25cm, 30cm
Track 1: Chester Step Metronome, Track 2: Fitech Step Metronome, Track 3: Queens College Step, Metronome Track 4: YMCA 3 Min Step Metronome, Track 5: Multi Stage Fitness Test (up to Level 16)
What box height do I need?
Box heights are determined as follows:
- 15cm – generally suitable for those over 40 years of age who take little or no regular physical exercise and for those under-40’s who are moderately overweight.
- 20cm – generally suitable for those under 40 years of age who take little or no regular physical exercise and for those under-40’s who are moderately overweight.
- 25cm – generally suitable for those over 40 years of age who regularly take physical exercise with moderately vigorous exertion.
- 30cm – generally suitable for those under 40 years of age who regularly take physical exercise with moderately vigorous exertion.
What's included in the kit?
The Chester Step Test Kit includes:
- Chester Step Test Protocol
- Chester Walk Test
- 1 Mile walk 1.5 Mile Walk/Run
- 12 min Run/Walk -Multi stage/ bleep test
- Queens Step Test
- Harvard Step Test
- Fitech Step Test
- Astrand Bike (Monark)
- YMCA step test
- Upper body Fitness Vo2 maximum test