POWERbreathe KH1 Medical Electronic IMT
This product is not available to buy online.
If you would like more information on the product, or would like to purchase, please get in touch.
The POWERbreathe KH1 is the world’s first digital, handheld respiratory muscle training, assessment and monitoring device.
It one of the latest models in the series of POWERbreathe Inspiratory Muscle Trainers for the health and medical market, following the POWERbreathe Medic that was approved for prescription in March 2006.
The POWERbreathe KH1 is intended for use by healthcare professionals for inspiratory muscle training and assessment in patients with dyspnoea, including patients with asthma, COPD, bronchitis, cystic fibrosis, emphysema, heart disease, neuromuscular disease, Parkinson’s disease and spinal injury.
- Additional information
- Who is it ideal for?
- Training Results Displayed
- Precautions & Contraindications
- Declaration of Conformity
- Reviews (0)
The POWERbreathe KH1 is intended for use by healthcare professionals for inspiratory muscle training and assessment in patients with dyspnoea, including patients with asthma, COPD, bronchitis, cystic fibrosis, emphysema, heart disease, neuromuscular disease, Parkinson’s disease and spinal injury*.
The POWERbreathe KH1 can be used with disposable filters attached to a spacer making it suitable for use at the patient bedside, on a ward and in clinics, as well as for single patient use at home under medical supervision.
POWERbreathe is drug-free and natural with no side effects or drug interactions.
The POWERbreathe KH1 training resistance is specifically designed to match the dynamic changes in breathing muscle strength throughout the breath and can automatically adapt to increases in inspiratory muscle strength at the beginning of each training session.
|Dimensions||34 × 18 × 10 cm|
|Maximal Inspiratory Pressure||
cmH2O, highest 1 second average
|Peak Inspiratory Flow||
|Average inhaled volume||
- Auto-optimising IMT technology – assesses the strength of the breathing muscles and automatically adapts the resistance accordingly
- Training intensity selector
- Washable valve system
- Training guidance system, including breathing pacing coach
- Training session display
- POWER system
- Test mode – Strength Index (S-Index)
- Training Index results (T-Index)
- Multi-Person Usage (MPU)
- Respiratory Muscle Testing (RMT) (Icon displaying MIP & PIF)
- A detachable valve assembly for easy cleaning
- Ergonomic mouthpiece design, suitable for adult & paediatric use
- Ergonomic grip design
Who is it ideal for?
- General Practitioners
- Respiratory and cardiac specialists
Training Results Displayed
- Maximal Inspiratory Pressure (cmH2O, highest 1 second average)
- Peak Inspiratory Flow (L/s)
- Training load (cmH2O)
- Average Power (Watts)
- Average inhaled volume (L)
- T-Index (training intensity index)
Precautions & Contraindications
POWERbreathe IMT is drug free, suitable for almost anyone and should cause no harmful side effects when used properly. Please read the following precautions and contraindications to ensure that POWERbreathe IMT is used safely and appropriately.
- The patient must not make changes to any prescribed medication or prescribed treatment programme without consulting their doctor.
- A patient must not use the POWERbreathe IMT device whilst taking part in other activities where they may become distracted, such as walking, running and driving.
- POWERbreathe IMT should not be used if the patient is suffering from a ruptured eardrum or any other condition of the eardrum.
- It is not recommended to use POWERbreathe IMT if the patient has suffered from or are likely to suffer from Costochondritis.
- To prevent the potential transmission of infections, we recommend that POWERbreathe IMT is not shared with other users, including family members.
- This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
- POWERbreathe IMT is designed for exercising the inspiratory muscles only. No other use is intended or implied.
- Anyone who is under the age of 16 should only use POWERbreathe IMT with supervision from an adult. POWERbreathe IMT contains small parts and is not suitable for children under 7 years.
- Whilst training with POWERbreathe IMT, the patient should feel resistance when inhaling but it should not be painful. If the patient feels pain whilst using POWERbreathe IMT, they should stop immediately and consult their doctor.
- Some users may experience slight ear discomfort when training with POWERbreathe IMT, especially if they are recovering from a cold. This is caused by inadequate equalisation of pressure between the mouth and ears. If symptoms persist, patients should consult their doctor.
- If a patient is suffering from a cold, sinusitis or respiratory tract infection, we advise that they do not use POWERbreathe IMT until symptoms have disappeared.
- If a patient starts to feel dizzy using POWERbreathe IMT, please recommend that they pause until recovered and take longer gaps between breaths.
The Healthcare Professional should take into consideration the following conditions before patients use POWERbreathe IMT:
- A history of spontaneous pneumothorax (a collapsed lung that was not due to traumatic injury e.g. broken rib), as it may lead to a recurrence of the condition.
- Pulmonary hypertension or large bullae on chest x-ray.
- Marked osteoporosis with history of rib fractures.
- Desaturation during or following IMT (<94%).
Inspiratory muscle training, such as training with POWERbreathe, is not recommended for patients with certain conditions, including the following:
- Patients who have undergone recent abdominal surgery and those with an abdominal hernia.
- Asthma patients who have a very low symptom perception and suffer from frequent, severe exacerbations or with an abnormally low perception of dyspnoea
- If a patient is suffering from a ruptured eardrum or any other condition of the ear
- Patients with marked elevated left ventricular end-diastolic volume and pressure
- Patients with worsening heart failure signs and symptoms after RMT / IMT
- If a patient is suffering from a cold, sinusitis or respiratory tract infection, we advise that they do not use their POWERbreathe IMT device.