£29.99 Ex VAT £24.99
The POWERbreathe Medic Classic is a Respiratory Muscle Training device (RMT) which has been scientifically proven to strengthen the inspiratory muscles, reducing breathlessness to improve exercise tolerance and enhance the quality of life in a wide range of patients.
After 20 months of rigorous assessment, the POWERbreathe Medic Classic was made available in the UK for prescription in the National Health Service (NHS) Drug Tariff: PIP 232-1040. As well as being made available to patients on prescription, the POWERbreathe Medic is available to buy via pharmacy retail and is also now available online.
The POWERbreathe Medic Classic offers an evidence-based, drug-free treatment for patients with a variety of medical conditions, including COPD, Asthma, Heart Failure, Thoracic Surgery, Ventilator Weaning, Cystic Fibrosis and Neuromuscular Disease.
The POWERbreathe Medic is the only Respiratory Muscle Training device available on prescription that has been used in research into the benefits of Respiratory Muscle Training/Inspiratory Muscle Training for a variety of medical conditions.
POWERbreathe Medic Respiratory Muscle Training is being prescribed by medical professionals as either a stand-alone intervention or as part of a rehabilitation programme.
Who can benefit from using POWERbreathe?
- People with a respiratory condition such as asthma, COPD, bronchitis, cystic fibrosis (also suitable for children aged 10 under adult supervision)
- People with a debilitating condition such as heart failure, heart disease, spinal injury
- People unaccustomed to regular physical exercise
- Anyone who gets out of breath easily
Within a few days of using this drug-free, easy-to-use hand-held device, your breathing muscles will feel stronger; within 3-weeks you’ll feel less breathless and within 4 weeks every-day activities will feel easier.
Laboratory Proven Training Regimen
- Twice a day, simply breathe 30 times through the device against the adjustable resistance. It takes less than 5-minutes.
- As your breathing muscle strength improves, simply adjust and increase the resistance as you would with any other form of exercise.
- Within a few days your inspiratory muscles will feel stronger; within 3-weeks you’ll feel less breathless, and within 4 weeks activities will feel easier.
Medic (10 – 90 cmH2O)
Can only be shipped to UK and Ireland
- Drug-free & natural with no side effects or drug interactions
- Scientifically proven, pressure threshold training technique
- Calibrated inspiratory load (light resistance)
- Adjustable ‘light’ training resistance (up to 9 adjustable training levels)
- Resistor/training level indicator
- Fully washable design
Use, Care and Cleaning
Simply put the nose-clip on so that it pushes your nostrils together and then breathe in through the POWERbreathe (use a little extra effort than you would to breathe normally), and the device will do the rest. Improvement in breathing efficiency can be seen in as little as 4-weeks. Comes with full instructions.
Your POWERbreathe will be exposed to saliva during use. We recommend that a few times a week your POWERbreathe should be soaked in warm water for about 10 minutes (see the POWERbreathe Manual for full details), but once a week POWERbreathe should be soaked in a mild cleansing solution instead of water, using these POWERbreathe Cleansing Tablets – only 1 tablet is required each time.
If you have any doubts about the suitability of POWERbreathe, or you have a medical condition, please consult your doctor.
- Inspiratory muscle training (breathing muscle training), such as training with POWERbreathe, is not recommended for patients with a history of spontaneous pneumothorax (a collapsed lung that was not due to traumatic injury e.g. broken rib), as it may lead to a recurrence of the condition. Following a traumatic pneumothorax and/or broken rib, POWERbreathe should not be used prior to full recovery.
- Inspiratory muscle training is not suitable for asthma patients who have low symptom perception and who suffer from frequent severe exacerbations. Inspiratory muscle training is not suitable for anyone who has recently experienced a perforated eardrum. Anyone who is under the age of 16 should only use POWERbreathe with supervision from an adult.