From £34.99 Inc Tax £29.16 Ex Tax
The Shaker Deluxe by POWERbreathe is an easy to use respiratory device for mobilising pulmonary secretions such as mucus and catarrh. Developed using the latest design technology, the Shaker Deluxe is ergonomic and simple to use; it requires no additional assembly.
For hygienic reasons, the Shaker is for individual use only.
- Additional information
- How To Use
- Compare Shakers
- Declaration of Conformity
- Reviews (0)
Inside the casing of the shaker is a weighted ball. By breathing into the Shaker Deluxe, the ball is raised but then falls under its own weight. This rise and fall action happens extremely quickly and to the user, feels like a vibration. This vibration, combined with the gentle resistance created by breathing against the ball causes a number of positive benefits. Changes in air pressure mean the smaller airways are encouraged to open, increasing lung usage and efficiency. Mucus is thinned or dislodged by the vibration and increased airflow helps this mucus to move to the large airways where gentle coughing can expel it.
Shaker Deluxe can be used anywhere, offering simple and convenient relief from excessive mucus and its associated problems. Shaker Deluxe can be used for chronic conditions such as COPD, asthma, emphysema and acute problems like chesty coughs, flu and bronchitis. By clearing the airways the chances of developing lung infections and damaging the lungs is reduced. Lung function is also improved, reducing breathlessness and fatigue.
Care and maintenance
Because your Shaker Deluxe will be exposed to saliva during use, we recommend that your Shaker Deluxe is cleaned after use. Remove the mouthpiece, unscrew the back case and remove the ball and internal cone. Wash all parts in soapy water, rinse with clean water, dry thoroughly and re-assemble. Once a week we recommend that the device is cleansed using approved cleansing tablets.
Injected Polymide, Nickel Plated Steel
Shaker Deluxe, Shaker Deluxe Light, Shaker Deluxe Kids
How To Use
It is best if you use the Shaker either sitting down or lying down, as you may become dizzy while using the device. If you do become dizzy, stop performing the exercise and breathe calmly through your nose.
The ability to rotate the mouthpiece enables you to use the Shaker device while reclining. Physiotherapists refer to this as postural drainage. Additionally when lying down, make sure your head is slightly elevated.
- Hold the Shaker device firmly in a horizontal position.
- Place the device in your mouth and take a slow, deep breath in through your nose to fill your lungs and hold for 2 to 3 seconds.
- Then, with your lips sealed around the mouthpiece, make a long exhale.
- Take a few inhalations and exhalations through you nose before performing stages 2 and 3 again.
- Repeat the process for about 10 repetitions or until bronchial hygiene is achieved. (The number of repetitions can vary depending on the patient and any medical or physiotherapy guidance.) Expel the secretion by coughing gently and expectorating into a tissue.
You may need to adapt the exercise to achieve the greatest and most effective vibration in your rib cage. This can be done by experimenting with the incline of the device and the intensity of the expired airflow.
Minimum pressure required when using Shaker products:
- Shaker Classic: 9cmH2O
- Shaker Deluxe: 11 cmH2O
- Shaker Deluxe Light: 8cmH2O
- Shaker Deluxe Kids: 8cmH2O
- Shaker Medic Plus – 8 cmH2O
- Mechanical comparison of 6 oscillatory positive expiratory pressure devices
- Mechanical Behaviors of Flutter VRP1, Shaker, and Acapella Devices
- Utilization of a High-Frequency Oral Oscillatory Device with Mechanical Ventilation
- Analysis of the functioning of the Shaker® to diverse levels of ﬂow
- Respiratory physiotherapy in patients with cystic fibrosis: a literature review
- Effect of oral high-frequency oscillation technique at different expiratory pressures on heart autonomic function and cardiorespiratory parameters
- Shaker is a single user device and for hygiene purposes, should not be shared with other users.
- Shaker should not be used by individuals with pneumothorax.
- Individuals with severe cardiovascular disease should only use Shaker on advice from a Doctor.
- Do not make changes to any prescribed medication or prescribed treatment programme without consulting your doctor.
- Adult supervision may be required, when being used by children under the age of 16. The Shaker contains small parts (i.e. the small steel ball used within the casing to ‘shake’ the mucus) and is not a toy. However, if the child is the minimum age for using this device (7-years-old) and you feel they have the ability to use the device and understand the exercise, then strict supervision must be provided at all times due to the potential choking hazard of small parts (e.g. the weighted steel ball) when taken apart, for instance, when cleaning.
- If you become dizzy while using Shaker, stop the exercise and breathe calmly through the nose until the feeling stops. If dizziness occurs every time you use the Shaker, inhale and exhale without the device every 3rd breath. Should dizziness persist, or any other problems arise whilst using the Shaker, please stop using the device immediately and consult your physician.
- The Shaker is designed to be used for mobilising pulmonary secretions. No other use is intended or implied. This product is not intended to diagnose, cure or prevent any disease.
- Only devices sold in sealed packaging should be used.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and sunlight.
- This product is sealed to maintain hygiene and cannot be returned if the seal is broken.